Hi! Welcome to all readers of our blog. This week we start a new project: You want to know something about a specific topic? We are going to discuss your choice, give literature hints, photos.. all you need! So – let´s start and tell us what topic you like!!
Tag Archives: Ägypten
Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist groups have denounced Sunday’s deadly bomb attack in South Sinai on a tourist bus and called for the culprits to be brought to justice.
The Brotherhood, from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails, published a brief statement on its website Monday, demanding that justice be served through transparent procedures as soon as possible.
The Brotherhood was officially deemed a terrorist organisation by Egypt’s interim authorities following an explosion at a police headquarters in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura which left 16 dead.
The ultra-conservative Al-Jamaa Al-Islamiya also released a statement Monday denouncing the bombing, adding that killing peaceful tourists is forbidden by Islam, state-run MENA reported.
The group also said that it is increasingly worried at the number of individuals who are using violence to confront an ongoing security crackdown against both Islamist and secular protesters.
Al-Jamaa Al-Islamiya was responsible for a 1997 terrorist attack in Luxor governorate which left at least 58 foreigners and four Egyptians dead. Since then the group has abandoned violence, and denounced all terrorist attacks following Morsi’s ouster.
However, the National Alliance to Support Legitimacy (NASL), a pro-Morsi coalition of Islamic groups including the Brotherhood and Al-Jamaa Al-Islamiya, adopted a harsher tone towards Sunday’s attack in Taba.
In a statement published on the NASL’s official Facebook page, the coalition accused Egypt’s “coup authorities” – the current interim government – of being too busy “chasing after peaceful protesters and increasing oppression and poverty” to prevent terrorist attacks.
Interior ministry spokesperson Hani Abdel-Latif said on Monday that the bomb attack was caused by a suicide bomber who boarded the bus and detonated the explosion immediately after.
Attacks on army and police personnel have spiked following Morsi’s ouster. Sunday’s bombing, though, is the first to directly target tourists.
Egyptian liberal and leftist political groups were quick to denounce the attack on Sunday.
In August 2011 the Egyptian army launched a military campaign against armed insurgents in Sinai after security in the peninsula broke down after the 25 January uprising earlier the same year.
Even though clashes between armed militants and the army and police occurred frequently in Sinai under the rule of the Supreme Council for Armed Forces which ruled the country in the transitional period following the 2011 revolution, it had not witnessed the large-scale bombings that occurrred during the era of ousted president Hosni Mubarak.
From 2004 to 2006, more than 140 civilians — mostly tourists — were killed in blasts in the towns of Taba, Dahab and Sharm El-Sheikh.
The first official engagement of the army in Sinai was in the summer of 2011, in what was titled Operation Eagle. A similar operation was launched under Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi – Operation Sinai – after 16 Egyptian soldiers were killed on 5 August 2012 near the Rafah border.
While the low level attacks continued in Sinai under Morsi, they spiked drastically after he was ousted from the presidency in July 2013, following mass protests demanding his resignation on the anniversary of his first year in power.
The gas pipeline from Egypt to Israel and Jordan, has been attacked often since 2011. There were more than 17 attacks on the pipeline between February 2011 and June 2012 and between July 2013 and February 2014. Morsi’s time in office was the only period in which the gas pipe attacks halted.
Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, a Sinai-based jihadist group, claimed responsibly for the major attacks both in Sinai and around Egypt since the Morsi’s ouster. However, a number of other Islamist insurgent groups are also active in Egypt.
Below, Ahram Online provides a timeline of attacks in Egypt since late 2012:
August 5, 2012: Suspected Islamist militants shoot 16 Egyptian border guards dead near Sinai’s Rafah city, close to the intersection of the Egyptian, Palestinian and Israeli borders. The assailants also hijack an Egyptian armed vehicle and attempt to cross into Israel but are shot down by an Israeli aircraft. Investigations into the accident are still ongoing.
May 16, 2013: Seven police and army personnel are kidnapped by unknown militants near north Sinai’s Al-Arish city. The conscripts are released the following week, after which the army announced that the release was a result of negotiation with the kidnappers and efforts of military intelligence as well as mediation by tribal sheikhs and Sinai locals.
While news of arrests and a military campaign against militants was reported after Morsi called for their arrest, no trial was reported thereafter.
July 5: Two days after the ouster of Morsi, five army and police officers are gunned down by Islamists in Al-Arish, a city which had become a hotbed for militant activity since 2011, with weekly attacks on police and army facilities and government buildings that, mostly, failed to leave casualties.
July 24: In an incident representing a shift in the methods of attack as well as location, a bomb is detonated at the Daqahliya governorate’s security directorate in the Delta city of Mansoura, killing a police conscript and injuring over 25 people. Previous attacks since February 2011 had mostly involved the use of firearms and to a lesser extent rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) and grenades.
The interior ministry blamed Islamist extremists; the final results of police and prosecutor’s investigations were not announced.
August 14: After police forces disperse the main pro-Morsi encampments in Cairo and leave hundreds of dead protesters in their wake, armed Islamists launch RPGs at the town of Kerdasa’s police station in Giza, killing 11 officers and then reportedly securing control of the town.
Police returned to Kerdasa in September to arrest suspects involved in the attack and cleared it of armed militants.
August 19: The bloodiest militant attack so far happens when two vehicles transporting police conscripts near Sinai’s Rafah – on their way home for a holiday, according to police statements – were attacked by militants using RPGs. Twenty-five of the conscripts are killed in the attack. The prime suspect, whom security sources said was a jihadist militant called Adel-Habbara, is arrested later in August and is now being tried in criminal court.
September 5: A failed assassination attempt on Egypt’s Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim takes place in Cairo. A suicide bomber detonates a car bomb close to Ibrahim’s security convoy, as seen in the video of the group claiming the attack, Sinai-based jihadists Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis.
September 11: A car bomb explodes at the military intelligence building in the Sinai city of Rafah near the Gaza border, killing six soldiers and injuring 17 soldiers and civilians. Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis claims the attack.
October 7: Nine police and army officers and conscripts are killed in two attacks: a drive-by shooting on a military patrol near Ismailia, where an army officer and six conscripts are killed, and a bombing at the security directorate in Sinai’s Al-Tor city which leaves three police officers dead.
Later that evening, an RPG is fired at a satellite link in Cairo’s upscale southern district of Maadi, causing little damage. The attack is claimed by another militant group active in Sinai called Kataeb Al-Forqan.
November 17: National security officer Mohamed Mabrouk – involved in investigations of the Muslim Brotherhood and jihadist groups – is assassinated by gunmen near his home in eastern Cairo. Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis claims the killing a few days later.
November 20: A car bomb is detonated on the Arish-Rafah highway in North Sinai, killing 11 army conscripts and injuring 17 others. The attack is claimed by Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, who later release a video recording of it.
December 24: A large explosion, apparently a car bomb and possibly more than one, detonates at the Daqahliya governorate’s security directorate in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura, killing 15 and injuring over 130 policemen and civilians. Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis claims the attack and several militant suspects are rounded up and questioned by police, who release videos of testimonies from primary suspects.
January 23, 2014: Five Egyptian policemen are killed and another two wounded in a drive-by shooting on a checkpoint in Beni Suef governorate, around 200 km south of Cairo. Later in February, the interior ministry directly accuses Muslim Brotherhood militants for the shooting, the first time it has levelled blame at the Islamic group for an attack since Morsi’s ouster.
January 24: Four separate bomb attacks hit Greater Cairo on the eve of the 25 January 2011 revolution’s third anniversary, killing six people and injuring dozens. The bombs target Cairo’s central police headquarters, a police unit stationed near a metro station in Giza’s Dokki district, a police station in Giza’s Al-Talbiya district and another near a government building in Giza’s Haram district.
The Museum of Islamic Art, across the street from the central police headquarters, suffers extensive damage as a result of the explosion. The other two bombs were smaller in magnitude.
January 25: Five soldiers – the crew of a military helicopter – are killed after their craft is hit by a surface-to-air missile in Sinai. The attack was claimed by Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis.
January 28: General Mohamed Said, an aid to the interior minister, is shot dead near his home in Giza’s Haram district by unknown assailants riding a motorcycle.
February 16: At least four are killed in an explosion on a tourist bus in the Red Sea resort town of Taba in South Sinai. The dead include the bus driver and three South Korean tourists. Fourteen others are injured. The choice by militants of a tourist bus containing civilians marks the first assault on a non-state target in the months-long string of bombings since Morsi’s ouster. The last major attack on tourists was in April 2006, when a series of bombs rocked the Red Sea resort town of Dahab in South Sinai, killing 23 and wounding at least 80.
While the above timeline encompasses the deadliest attacks to have occurred during the past two years, dozens more of attempted attacks have taken place, mainly in the Sinai Peninsula, the majority of which have led to limited injuries.
Attacks against security personnel are frequent and so not all deaths have been included in the timeline. Only major attacks have been noted.
The military has also announced the killing of dozens of suspected militants and the razing of dozens of buildings that were being used for militant activity since its offensive campaigns in Sinai began in summer 2013.
The car bomb which gutted Cairo’s central police headquarters early on Friday morning has also caused severe structural damage to Egypt’s National Library and Archives (NLA), located across the street from the security directorate targeted in the blast.
Minister of Culture Saber Arab told Ahram Online that all the NLA’s lighting and ventilation systems were completely destroyed, while the decorative facade, representative of Islamic architectural styles, had collapsed. He added that all showcases and furniture inside the building had also been badly damaged.
NLA head Abdul Nasser Hassan told Ahram Online that seven unique manuscripts and three rare scientific papyri had also been damaged. Hassan estimated that the losses will cost the government at least LE50 million in repairs.
Built in 1870 by Khedive Ismail and modelled on the national library in Paris, the NLA has since been Egypt’s treasure house for manuscripts, rare books and ancient Egyptian papyri. Ismail, one of modern Egypt’s great rulers, was known for pushing Egyptian culture and heritage into the international spotlight. As part of Ismail’s vision, the NLA has served as a national university and has nurtured and inspired thousands of thinkers and scientists.
Following the 1952 Revolution, the original building became so overwhelmed with books that a new site overlooking the Nile was built in 1971. However, the building was left unused for more than 25 years and fell into disrepair.
A restoration project launched in the 1990s saw the opening of the NLA’s current building in Bab Al-Khalq, not far from the heart of old Islamic Cairo.
The building was heralded as a remarkable example of integration, fusing historic Islamic architecture with more modern styles, and consisting of one main floor, two mezzanines and a three-storey manuscripts museum.
Meanwhile, Egypt’s top prosecutor referred three Germans to criminal court on charges of smuggling and damaging antiquities and six Egyptians for acting as their accessories.
Hisham Barakat said authorities issued arrest warrants for the alleged German thieves, who fled to their country after the incident. He said authorities would communicate with Germany to restore the pieces they say were taken last April under the pretext of use for research.
The Egyptian defendants are already in detention.
Barakat says the Germans, along with their Egyptian guides, entered the famed pyramids of Giza with permits to visit but not excavate, and left with samples of stone from the ramparts of two tombs and the burial room of King Khufu.
Egyptian archaeologist Monica Hanna says the German researchers wanted to use the samples prove their hypothesis in a documentary they later filmed, which says that the pyramids were built by a people that pre-dates the ancient Egyptians.
The online documentary, removed in the wake of the controversy, showed one researcher inside the inner chambers of the Khufu pyramid, taking samples from the king’s cartouche.
Egypt has experienced a security vacuum since its 2011 uprising. Thousands of artifacts have been stolen.”
“French Egyptologist Alain Zivie believes he may have discovered the tomb of the artist Thutmose, the official sculptor of Pharaoh Akhenaten’s court and the genius who is thought to have created the famed bust of Nefertiti.
That iconic sculpture was found in a studio belonging to Thutmose in Akhenaten’s capital of Amarna in 1912. In 1996, Zivie’s team was excavating in a subterranean gallery in the necropolis of Saqqara thought to hold only mummified animals. To their surprise, the archaeologists uncovered a small tomb holding the remains of a man identified as Thutmose and his wife dating to the Amarna period (ca. 1353–1336 B.C.).
The rich depictions of Thutmose and his wife together on a double coffin, as well as the discovery of a colorful ivory palette similar to one discovered in Amarna, fueled Zivie’s suspicion that the Thutmose of the Saqqara tomb and…
View original post 43 more words
KBSAÄ – what is that? It´s the newest series in Egyptology – Kleine Berliner Schriften zum Alten Ägypten, edited by Andreas Finger and Christian Huyeng.
The series combines popular and scientific books and is open for every egyptologist!
You want to publish your work in KBSAÄ? Just write us an email at
The first volume is availabe in German:
Ägypten für Einsteiger. Ein kleiner Führer durch das Land der Pharaonen by Christian Huyeng